Thursday, January 02, 2014

Film: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty









GENRE:
Adventure, Comedy, Drama
RATING: G for some mild language
RUNTIME: 1 hour and 54 minutes
STARRING: Ben Stiller (Tower Heist, Meet the Parents)
Kristen Wiig (Bridesmaids), Adam Scott (Step Brothers)
DIRECTOR: Ben Stiller (Zoolander, Tropic Thunder)
WRITER: Steve Conrad (The Pursuit of Happyness)
PLOT: A day dreamer needs to go on an actual adventure to track down an elusive photographer and missing negative.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:
1 I’m a day dreamer so I could relate to the imaginative adventures of Walter Mitty in this film. I love how it mixed the absurd with the truly adventurous. Especially at the start of a new year, I found this film to be uplifting in the premise of trying new things and living life.  
2 Some beautiful visuals in this film. Iceland looks like a great place to visit. So does Greenland with its eight people (Iceland subbed in for Greenland though).   
3 Patton Oswald (Parks & Recreation, Brooklyn Nine-Nine) makes everything that much better. All you need is a cameo to brighten a script.
4 I thought the missing photo would turn out to be a McGuffin but I really did enjoy the pay off at the end.  
5 There were a couple of camera pans in the office and on the final mountain that made me dizzy. Sure, I suffer from vertigo, but this seemed completely unnecessary.  Other than that, this film had some impressive cinematography.

RECOMMENDATION: Fun in the theatres for the visuals
UPCOMING REVIEWS: The Best of 2013

No comments: