Saturday, August 17, 2013

Film: The Butler








GENRE:
Biography, Drama
RATING:
14A for violence, language, thematic elements
RUNTIME:
2 hours and 12 minutes

STARRING:
Forest Whitaker (Last King of Scotland, Panic Room)
Oprah Winfrey (The Color Purple); David Oyelowo (Jack Reacher)

DIRECTOR:
Lee Daniels (Precious)
WRITER:
Danny Strong (Game Change, Recount)
PLOT:
The civil rights movement is explored as Cecil Gaines serves eight presidents as a White House butler.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:
1
I know some have dubbed this film a black Forrest Gump but this one has way more bite and less whimsy. Whitaker’s Cecil is more of an observer and quiet sage as opposed to a participant. Still extremely well done and eye-opening.
2
Whitaker and Oprah are fantastic. They easily command the screen and make you feel every emotion that fills their fragile household. 
3
While there are many stand-out supporting performances, I was most enthralled with Alan Rickman (Die Hard, Harry Potter) as Ronald Regan. While the last half-hour usually drags in a film like this, I found the final years invigorating and part of that is due to Rickman’s entrance into the sprawling story.
4
I was a little annoyed with the editing of the film. There was some intercutting of scenes that I found a little distracting. I also didn’t like that the editing made it seem like JFK was assassinated as a response to civil rights issues.
5
I don’t know why this makes me smile but the writer, Danny Strong, played nerdy Jonathan on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It’s cool to see him make his mark on the industry. In fact, I just found out that he’s writing the screenplays for Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I & II. I’m even more excited now.

RECOMMENDATION:
Theatre for Oscar-worthy stuff
UPCOMING REVIEWS:
The World’s End

No comments: