Saturday, July 06, 2013

Film: The Lone Ranger








GENRE:
Action, Western
RATING:
PG for intense action and violence
RUNTIME:
2 hours and 29 minutes

STARRING:
Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean, The Tourist)
Armie Hammer (Social Network); William Fichtner (Armageddon, Go)

DIRECTOR:
Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Carribean, Rango)
WRITERS:
Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio (Pirates, Shrek, Mask of Zorro )
Justin Haythe (Revolutionary Road, Snitch)

PLOT:
A very long backstory on how Tonto helps the man who would become The Lone Ranger.  

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:
1
What a mind-numbingly boring  story! There’s this mini-scene involving a robbery. I wish the rest of the movie was more like that instead of this boring story about the railroad and vengeance.
2
I enjoyed the chemistry and characterization of Tonto and the Lone Ranger but I didn’t find myself caring what happened to them. I also wondered why they rode together as they seemed pretty selfish for almost the entire film.  I like Silver the most though.
3
I liked Hans Zimmer’s musical score. I enjoyed the use of the Lone Ranger theme song (The William Tell Overture).
4
I enjoyed the cinematography. At least the movie was well shot.
5
I felt most sorry for the boy listening to the telling of the story. I had a hard enough time sitting through the bloated 2½ hour running time, imagine standing. What a terrible book end to the movie? So unnecessary.

RECOMMENDATION:
Wait for TBS
UPCOMING REVIEWS:
The Way, Way Back

No comments: