Sunday, March 17, 2013

Film: The Incredible Burt Wonderstone








GENRE:
Comedy
RATING:
PG for dangerous stunts and sexual content
RUNTIME: 1 hours and 40 minutes

STARRING:
Steve Carell (Evan Almighty, The Office, Anchorman)
Steve Buscemi (Fargo, Big Fish); Jim Carrey (Bruce Almighty)

DIRECTOR:
Don Scardino (30 Rock, Cosby Show)
WRITERS:
John Goldstein & John Francis Daley (Horrible Bosses)
PLOT:
A fading magician and his partner need to come up with something new to defeat an up-and-coming street magician rival.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:
1
I like Steve Carell. I’ll pretty much watch him in anything. He does a great job in a mediocre movie. He plays both arrogant and sympathetic well. He definitely is a wonder to watch in this film.
2
Jim Carrey is more disgusting than funny in this one. He does go for the outrageous as a Criss Angel: Mindfreak sort of weirdo. I had to avert my eyes a couple of times.
3
I also really like Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine, Argo) who plays Burt’s inspiration, Rance Halloway. I think it’s his voice and gruff attitude that just slays me every time.
4
The plot is just so-so. The middle of the film is pretty dull with just a few chuckles. There are some funny moments here and there but it’s not that consistent. 
5
The last two minutes are hysterical! I had tears coming out of my eyes. They show the behind-the-scenes of their greatest trick and it made the whole film worth it, just for that.

RECOMMENDATION:
Probably should wait for TBS
UPCOMING REVIEWS:
GI Joe: Retaliation

No comments: