Friday, December 07, 2012

Film: Life of Pi







GENRE:
Adventure/Drama
RATING: PG for some war violence and brief strong language
RUNTIME: 2 hours and 7 minutes
STARRING: Suraj Sharma (newcomer)
Irrfan Khan (Slumdog Millionaire, The Amazing Spiderman)
DIRECTOR: Ang Lee (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon))
WRITER: David Magee (Finding Neverland)
PLOT: A young man learns more about himself while stranded at sea with a hungry Bengal tiger.  

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:
1 What a gripping story. I never read the book so all of this was new to me. This is a wonderful tale of survival. It reminded me of Castaway, except it’s on water and this ‘Wilson’ wants to eat you.
2 While newcomer Sharma does an amazing job as Pi, it’s really the Bengal tiger, Richard Parker that steals the show. It looks so incredibly life-like. The CG folks deserve a standing ovation.
3 The visuals in this film are stunning. Lee makes the abandonment at sea a beautiful experience. I’m glad I didn’t risk the potential blurriness of seeing it in 3D. I’m sure it will look cool to 3D viewers as well.
4 The hyena is a real jerk.
5 One of the opening shots is of a sloth. I love sloths.

RECOMMENDATION: Beautifully shot, 3D unnecessary
UPCOMING REVIEWS: The Hobbit, Hitchcock

No comments: