Friday, December 02, 2011

Film: The Muppets






GENRE:
Comedy/Family/Musical
RATING:
PG for mild rude humour
RUNTIME:
1 hour and 38 minutes
STARRING: Jason Segel (I Love You Man, Bad Teacher)
Kermit the Frog (The Muppet Movie, Great Muppet Caper)

DIRECTOR:
James Bobin (Flight of the Conchords)
WRITERS:
Jason Segel (Forgetting Sarah Marshall)
& Nicholas Stoller (Yes Man, Get Him to the Greek)

PLOT:
With the help of three fans, the Muppets need to reunite in order to save their theatre from an oil tycoon.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:

1
I loved The Muppet Show when I was a kid; I still love it today thanks to DVD. So I could easily relate to Gary and Walter’s enthusiasm of meeting The Muppets. It was like getting together with an old friend. Good times.
2
The songs were a lot of fun. Most of them were written by Bret McKenzie of Flight of the Conchords fame. ‘Man or Muppet’ was pure Conchord genius. And I loved hearing Rainbow Connection again.
3
Some fun cameos. I would talk about them but I don’t want to ruin it for you.
4
My one issue was that Kermit was a little too depressing. I like crazy arm-flailing Kermit who tries to the keep the show going. This film is full of sad, reflective Kermit who misses the good old days and wonders what went wrong. Thankfully the others are mostly upbeat.
5
Chris Cooper raps. ‘Nuff said.

RECOMMENDATION:
Watch in the theatres
UPCOMING REVIEWS:
The Descendants

No comments: