Thursday, July 28, 2011

Film: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part II






GENRE:
Action/Fantasy
RATING:
PG-13 for action violence
RUNTIME:
2 hours and 10 minutes
STARRING: Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson Rupert Grint (Harry Potter 1 - 7)
DIRECTOR:
David Yates (Harry Potter 5,6 & 7)
WRITER:
Steve Kloves (Harry Potter 1 -4, 6 & 7)
PLOT:
Harry and his friends find the remaining Horcruxes and try to defeat Voldemort once and for all.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:
1
A very fitting finale to the Harry Potter saga. This film is very well paced and is filled with both intense action and emotion. I didn’t shed a tear but still felt very connected to the characters. Well done.
2
They do a nice job of referencing the past seven films. I love it when things when come full circle. However I did find myself confused a couple of times. It is good to refresh your memory at least with part one of the Deathly Hallows. I didn’t recall Hagrid getting kidnapped at any time, but there he was, held prisoner.
3 I absolutely love the way the Snape (Alan Rickman) story wrapped up. Truly a tragic hero. And of course, I too reveled in the glorious moments featuring Neville (Matthew Lewis). Everyone was great, but these two supporting characters were the most fun to watch.
4
It was exciting to see this film in London on its opening week. Harry’s King’s Cross comment made the audience laugh, and me as well as I now knew exactly what he was referring to.
5
Too bad about the epilogue. I wish there was a different way to pull that off without using different actors, but I guess that would be too difficult. There was definitely laughter in the theatre when each character appeared in such overdone make-up it really looked like a school play with teenagers playing adults. I know this scene is also in the book but maybe some animation or character updates would have been a better way to go.

RECOMMENDATION: See it in theatres
UPCOMING REVIEWS:
Horrible Bosses, Cars 2

No comments: