Saturday, April 16, 2011

Film: Source Code






GENRE:
Thriller/Mystery
RATING:
PG-13 for some violence and language
RUNTIME:
1hour and 33 minutes
STARRING: Jake Gyllenhaal (Prince of Persia, Jarhead) Michelle Monaghan (Eagle Eye), Vera Farmiga (Up in the Air)
DIRECTOR:
Duncan Jones (Moon)
WRITER:
Ben Ripley (Species III)
PLOT:
A soldier wakes up in the body of an unknown man and must find and bomb and the bomber on a commuter train. He has 8 minutes. He can do it over and over again too.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:

1
I’m not a big fan of Gyllenhaal but he was pretty good in this film. I like him better on the train rather than the overly emotional intensity of the pod used to keep him coming back to the train.
2
Russell Peters is fun. (It was filmed in Montreal) I don’t know why he didn’t just play himself though, especially since he gets to do a stand-up routine near the end.
3
I like the concept of returning for only eight minutes; that amps up the intensity. I wish he went back more times though and learned more info about everyone on the train. Gyllenhaal was usually too abrupt with other characters making the situations a little weird.
4
While they packed a lot of action and mystery in 90 minutes, I found I didn’t relate much to the characters and didn’t really care what happened to them. Michelle Monaghan’s character was cute and all but she just looked confused most of the time. Maybe eight minutes was a little short. Also, the ending was weird and need more explanation. But maybe that’s just me.
5
I totally knew who the bomber was the first time around. This was no Sixth Sense.

RECOMMENDATION: Wait for the DVD
UPCOMING REVIEWS:
Scream 4

No comments: