Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Film: Up

STARRING: Ed Asner (Studio 60, Lou Grant, Elf ); Jordan Nagai (newcomer)
DIRECTORS: Pete Docter (Monsters Inc.)

& Bob Peterson (first-time)
WRITER: Bob Peterson (Finding Nemo)
PLOT: Carl tries to fulfill his lifelong dream of seeing South America by transporting his home using thousands of balloons. Unfortunately for him, an eager boy scout is along for the ride.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS
4 Pixar gets everything right. Again. What I love about Pixar films is the heart that is found in each story. While there is plenty of wit, humour and slapstick, I often find myself really caring for these animated characters. Even though you can see some of the character progression a mile away, it is still endearing when it’s presented on the screen. Loved the grape soda pin.
4 Pixar animation is like nothing else. They take so much time to perfect their images. The balloons alone are worth watching. I also like how they make the humans look like cartoon characters instead of trying to make them look realistic. I love that Carl is so boxy in his design.
4 Like Wall*E, this film does not load up on the characters. We are given a chance to really get to know four or five individuals. Simplicity is the key. And I while I hate a movie like Snow Dogs where live animals are given the gift of speech, I love how they justify the talking dogs in this film. Dug is awesome.
4 Even after seeing plenty of trailers for Up, it never occurred to me that Russell, the boy scout, is Asian. I must hand it to Pixar for ignoring the stereotypes that are often found in other Disney fare. I liked the racial diversity and that it’s not made into an issue in this picture.

4 My one concern with Pixar (and I noticed this during Wall*E as well) is that their films seem to be aimed more at adults with some stuff thrown in for the kids as opposed to aimed at kids with a couple of things just for the parents. Since Up deals with the elderly and honouring the memory of a loved one, I wonder how much the kids enjoy the film. I’m sure they like Russell and Dug, but a lot of the content seems like it would go over their head. Don’t get me wrong, I love the themes and artsy-ness of Pixar movies but I sometimes wonder if I’d feel the same way if I were a parent.

RECOMMENDATION
See it in the theatre
(All Pixar films need a big screen viewing)


COMING SOON
The Hangover, Taking of Pelham 123, Transformers 2

2 comments:

The Jaded Bee said...

Wall-E is still my son's favourite movie, and he's five. Both kids (daughter is 3) loved the movie Up. When Ellie passed away, my daughter had tears pouring down her face (not unlike her mother), although I'm not sure how much she understood other than it was sad. (She didn't understand that the old woman was the little girl and kept asking me where she was the whole movie.)

I think because Pixar is 'adult' in their storylines and themes, as opposed to other 'kid' movies that have adult jokes that go over their heads (Shrek, Madagascar), it's still tangible for them as they know more than we generally give them credit for. I think it's more Pixar deciding children don't need to be talked down to, which is something I really appreciate.

Anonymous said...

when I went to watch Up, there were kids around me who were upset. Asking out loud "why are they sad" during the scene when the couple find out they can't have a child. Also when the wife dies. It's a great film and I hope that parents are open to talk with their kids afterward about what happens in this film. And not to bring their child to this film thinking it's all a light/fun kids flick.