Saturday, March 21, 2009

Film: I Love You, Man

STARRING: Paul Rudd (Knocked Up, Role Models); Jason Segel (Forgetting Sarah Marshall, How I Met Your Mother)
DIRECTOR: John Hamburg (Along Came Polly, Undeclared)

WRITERS: John Hamburg (Meet the Parents, Zoolander) & Larry Levin (Dr. Doolittle, Dr. Dolittle 2)
PLOT: Friendless Peter Klaven goes on a series of man-dates to find a Best Man for his upcoming wedding.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS
4 Paul Rudd and Jason Segel have amazing chemistry! These guys play so well off each other, you can tell that they are good friends when the camera stops rolling. I Love You, Man is definitely a guy movie, and these two actors are completely relatable even when they do goofy things. Just check out thei air guitar and 'slapping the bass'.
4 I often complain when actors improvise too much in a film at the expense of the plot for some bizarre, random laughs. However, Paul Rudd’s improv-ed lines in this movie are nothing short of amazing. Rudd’s Peter Klaven wants to sound cool when hanging up a phone, leaving a message or giving a nickname and every single mumbled word out of his mouth is completely, hysterically awkward. I don’t know how you would write some of that dialogue, so kudos to Rudd for making any sign off cooler by comparison.
4 I admit I have a bias when reviewing this movie. I am getting married on Sunday, so watching a film about a guy picking a best man seemed very appropriate. I never said I was objective when I review films.

4 I Love You, Man has a fun supporting cast, especially the work of Jon Favreau and Andy Samburg. Favreau (Swingers, Daredevil) plays a jerk of a husband who is forced to spend time with Peter. His animosity towards Peter is great fun. Samburg (SNL) does a nice job playing the little brother who gives much needed advice. Good stuff. Also Rashida Jones (The Office) does a very fine job playing Peter's finacee. I didn't find her to be the stereotypical girlfriend.
4 Like many of the comedies today, this one is also a tad too long. Twenty minutes shorter would have made this movie so much better. Comedy is supposed to be fast. I don’t know why directors and writers insist on dragging the humour out. Oh well.

RECOMMENDATION
Wait for the DVD
(Nothing really cinematic about it)


COMING SOON
Maybe Duplicity

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked this movie and I saw duplicity in the same night.
I think duplicity was ok but the previews made it look better than it was. The intro credits were cool, there were some interesting transitions between scenes, and there were a few funny lines but it just had something missing. I think it was that I didnt really care much about the characters.
As somebody who usually likes the Ocean's 11 type movies and doesnt like romantic comedies, i was surprised at how much more i enjoyed He's Just Not That Into You.
If you havent seen that, i'd go.....that movie is hillarious. Taken was also awesome. Both better than Duplicity by a long shot.

Mel H