Friday, January 02, 2009

Film: 2009 Movie Preview

Here again is my preview of some of the films that should be hitting the theatres this new year. After some hasty research, I came up with 25 films that I consider watching in 2009. Again, my opions are based soley on trailers, plot descriptions and director/actor pedigree. Again, all dates are tentative; especially the later ones. Looking at last year, I watched 17 of the 25 listed. (Star Trek & Harry Potter moved to this year. Drillbit Taylor, Harold & Kumar 2, Speed Racer and The Love Guru all looked pretty dumb up close. Still haven’t gotten around to The Happening and Mummy 3. ) Here’s this year's list:

1.Fan Boys (Feb 6) – Maybe it’ll actually show up in a theatre this year.
2.He’s Just Not That Into You (Feb 6) – Fun romantic comedy. Looks funny.
3.Watchmen (March 6) 300 director with another graphic novel? Hell yeah.
4.I Love You, Man (March 20) – Looking for a best man? Fitting sime I’m getting married.
5.Monsters Vs. Aliens (March 27) – I’ll give Dreamworks another shot.
6.The Soloist (April 24) – Robert Downey Jr & Jamie Foxx in Oscar-type performances.
7.Star Trek (May 8) – JJ Abrams won’t let me down.
8.Angels & Demons (May 15) – Hope this is better than Da Vinci Code.
9.The Brothers Blooom (May 15) – Fun con flick with Mark Ruffalo and Adrien Brody.
10.Terminator Salvation (May 22) – Christian Bale has a good track record.
11.Up (May 29) – It’s Pixar! I’d be stupid not to go see this film.
12.The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (June 12) – Denzel & Travolta in an action flick? Sure.
13.Transformers 2 (June 26) – Let’s see some more explosions.
14.Ice Age 3 (July 1) – Love me some Ice Age. Hope it’s just as good as the first one.
15.Public Enemies (July 1) – Johnny Depp and Christian Bale. Sold.
16.Harry Potter VI (July 17) – Can’t stop watching the frnachise now.
17.Funny People (July 31) – Judd Apatow flick with Seth Rogen & Adam Sandler.

18.GI Joe (Aug 7) – Hope they don’t mess with my childhood imagination.
19.Jennifer’s Body (Sept 18) – Quirky horror by the writer of Juno. I’m intrigued.
20.Shutter Island (Oct 2) – Psychological thriller directed by Martin Scorsese. I’m there.
21.Where the Wild Things Are (Oct 16) – Classis novel directed by Spike Jonze.
22.The Fantastic Mr. Fox (Nov 6) – Wes Anderson tries animation. Why not?
23.Sherlock Holmes (Nov 20) – Guy Ritchie directs Robert Downey Jr as action Holmes.
24.The Lovely Bones (Dec 11) – directed by Peter Jackson. Great cast. Sounds good.
25.Avatar (Dec 18)
– A James Cameron film that's Titatnic-free. It’s about time.

Of course, I’ll update my personal viewing season to season, based on more reviews, buzz and trailers, but for now, this will have to do. I hope this year’s crop of movies are better than 2008. I can only hope.

No comments: