Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Film: Valkyrie

STARRING: Tom Cruise (Lions for Lambs, The Last Samurai); Bill Nighy (Love Actually, Pirates 2 & 3); Tom Wilkinson (Michael Clayton, Batman Begins)
DIRECTOR: Bryan Singer (The Usual Suspects, Superman Returns, X-Men)
WRITERS: Christopher McQuarrie (The Usual Suspects) & Nathan Alexander
PLOT: The dramatic account of an unsuccessful plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler at the height of WWII.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS
4 I was pretty excited to see Singer and McQuarrie together again. I love The Usual Suspects. I didn’t expect the same quality of story but was ready for an nicely complex conspiracy film. I thought they delivered. It was well put together and nicely paced. I knew the ending (knowing that they failed their mission) but I was intrigued by the first attempt and how far these soldiers got with the second try. It was a good time at the movies. Wonderfully shot and choreographed.
4 It was interesting to see serious turns for some of the supporting actors who I’m usually accustomed to seeing in comedic roles. Bill Nighy often has roles with tongues placed firmly in cheek. He was highly effective as the waffling General Olbricht. Eddie Izzard is known for his comedy specials, in Valkyrie, he is almost unrecognizable as General Fellgiebel, an officer who reluctantly helps out. Nice job men.
4 I don’t know why people have such a problem with Tom Cruise. Sure, he did some stupid things a couple of years back, but he’s a darn good actor. I don’t know why people were giggling during previews when they saw his Claus von Stauffenberg character wearing an eye patch. He inhabited the role well. I don’t know what audiences are expecting from Cruise.
4 Tom Wilkinson continues to blow me away with his acting skill. He brings so much depth and gravitas to his roles. He can play intelligent, ruthless roles so well. I’m glad this film was filled with high quality actors. On that note, I wish Kenneth Branagh was more in the movie. He was gone far too soon.

4 The end of The Usual Suspects has this beautifully sound edited scene that goes through snippets from Verbal’s story. I don’t know if editor John Ottman is to be credited for that. In Valkyrie, there is this wonderfully sound edited scene a top of the film, where the audience hears the German language morph into English so we can understand what is being said. It’s smartly done and makes the audience aware that while we may hear English, German is being spoken and written throughout the film. A simple, yet clever, concept that works beautifully.

RECOMMENDATION
See it in the Theatre
(It’s a fun time at the movies, though the
content probably won’t interest younger people.)

COMING SOON
Film review of Revolutionary Road

No comments: