Tuesday, August 26, 2008

2008 Fall TV Preview

I’m giddy with excitement over the new fall season. This year it’s a lot more about the returning shows rather than the new ones. Because of the strike, certain television shows have been absent from the schedule since last December. It’ll be like reconnecting with old friends. Okay that sounded way too addicted. Anyway, this fall there are only two new shows that I’m giving a fighting chance to. Yeah, two. The rest of the new stuff is coming this spring, like the Joss Whedon’s Dollhouse. In any case, let's begin.
THE GOOD





The Premise: Two FBI agents deal with unexplained phenomenon or ‘fringe’ science. There’s also a government conspiracy behind it all. The Pedigree: JJ Abrams, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci (Alias) Why I’ll Watch: Think of this show as a more graphic X-Files. I like Joshua Jackson (Dawson’s Creek) although I hope he gets to be more sarcastic than incredulous. I also love the casting of Lance Reddick (The Wire, Lost), he commands every scene he’s in. The opening sequence of the pilot of episode was pretty grotesque and cool at the same time. I hope they can give us new stuff instead of recycled X-Files; it’ll be quite the challenge. Premieres: 9pm Tuesday, September 9 on FOX





The Premise: Henry is an average American suburbanite. Edward is a super spy. They both occupy the same body thanks to a science experiment causing split personalities. Their lives will soon overlap. The Pedigree: Jason Smilovic (Bionic Woman) and Christian Slater (Broken Arrow, True Romance, Heathers) Why I’ll Watch: Haven’t seen the pilot yet, but the premise seems interesting enough. I’ll forgive Smilovic for his involvement in Bionic Woman. I think this show will work well for Christian Slater. It does seem to have enough action to keep me interested. It’s basically Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde but superspy style. We’ll see how it goes. Premieres: 10pm Monday, October 13 on NBC
THE "I DON'T KNOW" There are two other shows that I’m wary about but might give a chance this fall.





The Premise: Dr. Jacob Hood (Rufus Sewell), a special science advisor to the US government helps to save people for the worst abuses of science. The Pedigree: Jerry Bruckheimer (CSI:, Cold Case, Amazing Race) Why I’m Divided: Bruckhemier does good work. The BBC version of this show is supposed to be good. It may be a good replacement for CSI: when Grissom leaves. BUT… It’s kind of like Numbers but with science and I got tired of Numbers after one season. Except for Sewell (Dark City, Knight’s Tale), I don’t recognize any of the cast. It also looks a little too serious. Haven’t seen the pilot yet so it may be too early to judge. Premieres: Thursday, Oct 9 at 10:00pm on CBS





The Premise: A girl who can read minds falls in with the vampire crowd. Vampires walk among the living because of some synthetic blood compound that is on the market. The Pedigree: It’s from Alan Ball (Six Feet Under, American Beauty) Why I’m Divided: Alan Ball is a great visual artist. Anna Paquin is a fine actor. The audio mixing when Sookie (Paquin) is reading minds is fantastic. BUT… The content is a little too sexual. The southern accents may get annoying. I miss Angel. The pilot was missing some dream sequences that may or may not work. Premieres: Sunday, Sept.7 at 8:00pm on Movie Central (HBO)
THE BAD
And here’s why I’m not watching the following new shows: Life on Mars: Cop show in the 70’s? Pass. Worst Week: Constant humiliation? I got The Office. The Mentalist: Simon Baker is creepy. It’s a boring version of Psych. Gary Unmarried: Stale sitcom with Jay Mohr. Boring. The Ex List: It’s a chick show on Friday night. Pass. Knight Rider: The TV movie sucked. Kath & Kim: I hate Molly Shannon. Selma Blair looks too stupid. Crusoe: Didn’t read the book. Not watching Friday shows. Do Not Disturb: Jerry O’Connell in a sitcom. ‘Nuff said. 90210: Had enough teen soaps with Dawson and OC. I’m done.
THE OLD STUFF I know I’m a geek but I made a chart for my television watching this fall. It’s even colour coded. Mock me all you like.










Why I’m still watching these shows Simpsons (20th Season): It’s still funny. I defy you not to laugh. Family Guy (7th Season): Random but funny. Simpsons are better. American Dad (4th Season): It’s after Family Guy. It has a plot. Entourage (5th Season): I love behind-the-scenes Hollywood Amazing Race (13th Season): Only reality show worth watching Dexter (3rd Season): It’s humour is so dark, it’s creepy & addictive. Chuck (2nd Season): Love the clueless spy stuff. Adam Baldwin rocks. Heroes (3rd Season): They swear this will be better than season two. How I Met Your Mother (4th Season): Mother is revealed soon! 2½ Men (6th Season): Jake (the ½) is the funniest person on the show. Prison Break (4th Season): Sarah has her head back. How?! House (5th Season): Loved how they ended last season. Eli Stone (2nd Season): The characters grew on me pretty quickly. Pushing Daisies (2nd Season): I miss this show. More whimsy. Dirty Sexy Money (2nd Season): Loved the eccentric family. Want more. My Name is Earl (4th Season): Hope they improve since last season. 30 Rock (3rd Season): The wittiest writing on television. The Office (5th Season): The ultimate water-cooler show. So funny! Smallville (8th Season): Just waiting for it die. CSI: (9th Season): At least until Grissom leaves. Not sure after that.
So there's all things TV. Coming soon is a preview of the fall movies and the Emmys. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would make fun of your spreadsheet, but I made my own last year. It was also colour-coded by network. NBC took up most of it. No need for a spreadsheet this year - all of my shows fall on two days (except SNL)....

Monday:
Gossip Girl
Prison Break
Heroes
How I Met Your Mother

Thursday:
Kath and Kim
The Office
30 Rock
ER
The Sarah Silverman Program


I never liked scrubs, but it fit nicely, so Kath & Kim will probably be the same way. Heroes better be better than season 2, or I am going to stop watching. Gossip Girl is my new fave but unfortunately this may mean Prison Break will get the boot. They've gotta bring it for me to watch this season.

Have you given up on Scrubs? I checked ABC.com for the premiere date but it's not even listed.

Peace and congrats on the engagement!

mel

Blackout said...

FYI, Scrubs returns this spring on ABC instead of NBC. Zach Braff is back too. Therefore I will be watching. They kind of faltered last year so I hope they bring the goods this spring.