Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

I have this weird sense of pride. For example, being from Canada, I’m usually proud of Canadian bands that make it big in the States. Same goes for actors and comedians. Recently, I’ve realized that I have this bizarre sense of pride when it comes to television actors who make a successful transition to film. I don’t know why. When I see an actor from an ensemble show make it big, I just wanna say, “good for you, keep it up.” See? Weird. Anyway, I had this feeling watching the love triangle that was formed in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

At the center of this ranchy yet heart-filled tale is writer and star, Jason Segel. I always enjoyed his awkward work in the brilliant-but-cancelled Freaks and Geeks. Currently, I’m loving his hangdoggedness (that’s a fun word to write) and optimism in How I Met Your Mother alongside Alyson Hannigan and Neil Patrick Harris. Say what you will about Steve Carrell and Seth Rogen from the previous similarly bi-polar films, but Segel is an actual everyman. He plays Paul Bretter as a totally believable schlub. I know people who act like him, I know I am sometimes just like him. This is what sucked me into the film from the very beginning. I heard that Segel was supposed to get a role in The 40-Year Old Virgin but the studio thought he wasn’t big enough. Who’s laughing now? Kudos to you Segel. Your first starring role and you knock it out of the park.

The two women that comprise the love triangle is Kristen Bell, the ex, and Mila Kunis as the new love interest. It’s nice to see Veronica Mars and Jackie Burkhart working again. Both are given some meaty emotional moments and are far from stereotypical in this comedy. They both contain the right amount of spunk and sass. Is that condescending? I’m not meaning to be. Bell and Kunis are easily able to light up the screen whenever they appear. As fans of their previous television efforts, I admire their jump to the big screen.

The rest of the acting in this laugh-out loud comedy is stellar. Newcomer Russell Brand beautifully plays the overly-sexualized rocker, Aldous Snow. He’s like a walking hormone. Very funny. Jack McBrayer channels his 30 Rock character, Kenneth, as a newlywed who is learning a lot about wedding sex. Bill Hader, who is becoming one of my favourite SNL actors, is outstanding as Peter’s married brother. There is a scene with him yelling over a cell-phone that still makes me smile. Rounding out the cast are Judd Apatow regulars Jonah Hill and Paul Rudd who add there own improvised lunacy. Comedy definitely works better when you have talented people behind the words.

The script from Jason Segel is amazing when you consider it’s the first film he’s ever written. The jokes are plenty, the pacing is sharp and the emotional anchor is always present. Where Knocked Up and Virgin put their heartfelt-ness at the end of their films, Forgetting Sarah Marshall peppers it throughout. There is a scene that got the packed audience to start yelling at the screen. That says something to me. Sure there are some bizarre moments like the muppet-dracula performance but there are clever rips at relationships and the media. The CSI rip-off is spot on. Congrats Jason Segel. Who would have thought?

I had a great time watching this movie. I was laughing out loud. A lot. Sure, most people are going to bring up the fact that you see Jason Segel’s penis a little too much in the opening five minutes of the film. If you can get past that, I think you’d enjoy what the rest of the story has to offer. Understand that the intention of the nudity is to create the most awkward situation imaginable. Mission accomplished. Forgetting Sarah Marshall is not for everyone but those who are into these recent, raunchy yet heart-filled films, go see this one in the theatre. It may be awkward but you won’t be disappointed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is on my list to see, eventually. it won't be a in a theatre though. is it really "ranchy" as in Hidden Valley-ish, or do you mean "raunchy"? :)