Wednesday, January 02, 2008

2008 Movie Preview

It’s the new year which means a new crop of movies. And if the writers strike continues, this may be the last batch of movie for a while. Anyway, I did some research and came up with a list of 25 films that I’m interested in seeing in 2008. My quick opinions are based solely on trailers, plot descriptions and director/actor pedigree. (All dates are tentative, especially the later ones). Looking at last year, I watched 20 of the 25 listed. (TV Set and Fan Boys didn’t come to my theatre, Chuck & Larry and Fred Claus looked too dumb up close, and Beowulf looked too CGI for my taste.) Let’s see what happens this year.

1. Cloverfield (Jan 18) – JJ Abrams action film shot ony from the video camera POV
2. Be Kind Rewind (Jan 25) – Michael Gondry of Eternal Sunshine fame, looks funny
3. Drillbit Taylor (Mar 21) – Judd Apatow comedy with Owen Wilson as a bodyguard
4. Leatherheads (Apr 4) – George Clooney & John Kransinski in football comedy
5. Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo (Apr 25) – Loved the first one.
6. Iron Man (May 2) – Comic-fan Jon Favreau directs. Comic-Con went nuts over this.
7. Speed Racer (May 9) – Only because it’s a Wachowski Brothers film.
8. Prince Caspian (May 16) – Love the trailer. Let’s go back to Narnia.
9. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (May 22) – Duh!
10. Forgetting Sarah Marshall (May 30) – Apatow again. Veronica Mars stars.
11. The Happening (June 13) – I like M. Night Shyamalan. So sue me.
12. Get Smart (June 20) – This role fits Steve Carrell like a glove. Love the trailer.
13. The Love Guru (June 20) – Another Mike Meyers creation. I’m intrigued.
14. Wall-E (June 27) – It’s Pixar. Need I say more?
15. Hancock (July 2) – Will Smith as a loser superhero. Check out the trailer.
16. The Dark Knight (July 18) – Heath Ledger as Joker is creepy. (I just shivered)
17. The X-Files 2 (July 25) – I like the show. The gang is back in Vancouver.
18. The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emporer (Aug 1) – Hi Brendan Fraser.
19. The Pineappple Express (Aug 8) – Apatow and Seth Rogen. C’mon.
20. Valkyrie (Oct 3) – Made by The Usual Suspects team. Plus Tom Cruise
21. Bond 22 (Nov 7) – Daniel Craig is back? Then so am I
22. Harry Potter VI (Nov 21) – Why stop now? Just a couple more to go.
23. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Nov 26) – Fincher/Pitt reunion
24. Yes Man (Dec 19) – Jim Carrey says yes to everything. Sounds Liar Liar worthy.
25. Star Trek (Dec 25) – JJ Abrams relaunches the franchise with new actors. Neat.


Of course, I’ll update my personal viewing season to season, based more on reviews, buzz and trailers, but for now, this will have to do. From a distance, it’s looks like another fine year of cinema. Let’s hope they stand up to the hype.

No comments: