Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The Heartbreak Kid

Love hurts? That’s not the only thing hurting. The Heartbreak Kid is brutal. I usually don’t have the urge to walk out of theatre while a movie is playing but I was seriously tempted during this un-funny travesty from Ben Stiller and The Farrelly Brothers. Walking into this film was a serious lapse of judgment on my part. I’m still shocked that Rotten Tomatoes gave this piece of crap 30%! I found myself groaning aand not laughing in this poorly-made remake. I’m going to try and remain brief because I don’t really want waste much time reviewing this gong show.

The Farrelly Brothers did some fun stuff with Dumb & Dumber and There’s Something About Mary, but the magic is definitely gone. It took five people to write the screenplay and the clunkiness shows. The story is mean-spirited. Ben Stiller is a jerk, I don’t care one iota about him. I felt sorry for his bride played by Malin Akerman (The Comeback) especially near the end when her character is grossly exposed. Jerry Stiller plays the same old horny father he usually does. Watching Carlos Mencia and his un-funny self is pure torture. The plot is lazy and predictable with most of its ‘funny moments’ found in the trailer.

There were only two things that kept me watching the movie. Rob Corddry is fun as Stiller’s best friend Mac who is a seriously whipped husband. Mac’s ring-tone for his wife’s incoming calls did make me chuckle. I also found Stiller’s new object of affection, played by Michelle Monaghan (Mission Impossible III), easy on the eyes. The character is poorly written but I liked looking at her. Yep, pretty lame reasons for staying and watching a film.

I kept hoping The Heartbreak Kid would get better but it never did. If you like fart jokes, this may be the film for you, and even still I’d warn you to stay away. I want those two hours of my life back. And the money I spent on drinks.

No comments: