Monday, June 11, 2007

The TV Season In Review

I’ll get to my reviews of Pirates, Shrek, Oceans and Knocked Up soon, but first I’ll wrap up my thoughts on the network TV season. Just so you know, there’s definitely spoilers ahead so you may want to jump from section to section. Also, my thoughts are a little disjointed as this review was written over a few days and I’ve been really, really tired.

THE DRAMAS







Lost

Since returning in February, I would almost say that this season has been its best. This is the season that showed us Locke’s big fall, Desmond’s disturbing gift, the true Sawyer, the awful death of minor characters, Ben’s creepy eyes, Charlie’s list, and much, much more. And what a season finale! Wow! Hurley’s rescue made me clap, Sayid’s foot trick made me wince, and Charlie’s final moments made me sad. And how about that fantastic twist with the flash-forward that makes us ponder even more: was that Ben in the coffin? Is Jack’s dad still alive? I think so. Unfortunately, we have to wait till next February to start the ball rolling again. Fortunately, the show runs uninterrupted and we know they need to wrap up the series in 48 episodes; it’s going to be a fun ride!

Heroes
As much as liked Hiro’s yell in the middle of Times Square in the first episode, I think it was Claire’s response to her open chest cavity on the morgue table that sold me on the series. I was happy to see all the characters come together in New York for the finale. My favourite line would have to be Sylar’s “Turns out you’re the villain, Peter. I’m the hero.” The only thing that bothered me about the finale was the “All You Need Is Love” answer to the impeding explosion. Of course, they made up for it by hinting at a scarier villain and starting with Volume Two featuring a confused Hiro seeing another eclipse. Well, that and Sylar escaping. With its wide variety of character, the cool powers, the unabashedly serialized plot, this series is a true protégé of Lost. If you missed out, get the DVD on August 28 and watch it non-stop, you won’t be disappointed.

24
This season was a train wreck. These writers need to take a seminar with the staff of Lost and Heroes (I’m most disappointed in David Fury, a former Buffy writer who should know better.) I wish Jack Bauer worked for the FBI or something so that we could get away from terrorism and the silly antics of CTU. We know that in each season, Jack will have to be working for and against CTU in some capacity. Don’t you think Jack has earned the right to do whatever he pleases? He’s always right; the president may want to write that down somewhere. The season started okay but when CTU is handed over to someone who was interrogated of suspected terrorism four hours earlier, you gotta start wondering what the hell the writers are thinking. The day should have ended when Jack secured the bombs instead starting another storyline with Audrey. And do they not work in shifts over at CTU? Just imagine the overtime pay. And what happened to Palmer? There’s way too much sloppy writing this season.Unless the terrorists are from Canada next year, I may be bowing out on Bauer come January.

House
I’m getting more addicted to the show with each passing episode. I’m not even really bothered with its “almost-solution-with-twenty minutes-to-go” ploy. I’ve been liking the longer story arcs, the interesting cases, and of course Hugh Laurie’s work as House. Loved the episode on the plane. Good stuff.

Prison Break
The first season was better. There’s something about restrictions that makes me enjoy a show more. That’s probably why I like the first Die Hard. This season had its ups and downs but I was still compelled to watch. I’m intrigued with Michael being stuck in a prison he didn’t help design, and with a bunch of people who want to kill him to boot. Should make for an interesting season three.

Veronica Mars
I can’t decide which season I like best, they each seem so strong. I can’t believe more people don’t watch this clever and puzzle-filled show. I hope The CW gets with the program and allows Veronica’s FBI series on the air. It’s always sad when bad things happen to good television shows.

Smallville
I didn‘t mind Lex and Lana together but it didn’t leave Clark with much to do. The Phantom Zone hunting grew pretty stale. I did like the addition of Green Arrow and the start of the Justice League. I would love to see Bruce Wayne make an appearance next season. I also loved Chloe and Jimmy, especially in their film noir episode. Here’s hoping that Lana is dead and Chloe survives. I can only hope.

CSI:
I like that this show has moved away from the sexually-based crimes that seemed to dominate previous seasons. The exploits of the miniature killer were a treat to watch this year, especially when the lab rats tried to solve the case. I also enjoyed the subtle exchanges between Sarah and Grissom. There’s a reason this show is still one of the most watched in America.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
I’ll never understand how people can watch the David Caruso-diseased CSI: Miami instead of Studio 60. This show had some wonderful messages and some brilliant acting. Sure, they could have used a seasoned sketch writer to punch up the Studio 60 sketch segments but Aaron Sorkin still did a wonderful job with the rest of the series. Shame on NBC for prematurely yanking the plug. Maybe they only give chances to initially low-rated comedies like Cheers, Seinfeld and The Office.

THE COMDIES






The Office

If you asked me which series I preferred: The UK version or the first season of the US version, I’d pick the British one in a heartbeat. Now, with a couple more seasons under its belt, I’d say that the US version kicks ass. I find myself caring about the characters a lot more while still cringing at the antics of Steve Carrell’s Michael Scott. I am really enjoying the times when the characters talk to the camera. Dwight is the king of those interviews. I also loved the string of guest directors like Harold Ramis, JJ Abrams and Joss Whedon. My favourite would have to be Whedon’s episode with Michael teaching Ryan’s class and Jim slowing turning into a vampire to freak out Dwight.

How I Met Your Mother
Now this is a clever sitcom. The way this show jumps around the timeline is both interesting and hysterical. Every word that comes out of Neil Patrick Harris’s mouth is pure gold. It’s legendary. The relationships are fun and true to life. These are the kind of people I would like to hang out with. The show is also great for rewarding fans with small inside jokes that need no explanation; there’s a slap bet in progress that can happen at any time. This is a stellar show, more people should be watching it. Are you?

30 Rock
This show started off a little clunky with the exception of the brilliant Alec Baldwin. Now the show is sheer comic genius. The storylines involving Baldwin and Tina Fey are fun and witty as hell. I just wish more time was spent in the show’s fictional writing room where there are a lot of laughs. This new show is definitely a keeper.

Scrubs
The show was little disappointing this year. It still had the great dream sequences and powerful storytelling but something seemed to be missing. The child-like innocence from the first few seasons are gone, they’re all leading more adult lives now which makes sense but is not as interesting to me. This next year is probably their last, I hope they can go out with a bang.

Simpsons
Say what you will about the show losing some of its humour over the last few years, but this show just cracked 400 episodes and I still like it more than Family Guy and American Dad. Their 24 parody was fun, their guest stars are still huge and you can’t tell me that The Simpson Movie isn’t going to rock. I hope they keep cranking this show out. Let’s shoot for 500.

SNL
I love watching Amy Poehler She is awesome. Also Kristen Wiig is starting to grow on me. I miss Seth Meyers being in sketches, but I do like his work on Weekend Update. This season has been pretty uneven but shows were saved with Andy Samberg’s Digital Shorts and hosts like Alec Baldwin and Justin Timberlake. You should check out some of their work on You Tube. Funny stuff.

I watch a bunch of other shows but there’s not much to say about their season this year. Here’s to next season and hoping more people watch what I watch.

5 comments:

Mike Perschon said...

What? No Battlestar Galactica?

I agree with you on the shows I watch, and am glad to hear I wasn't wrong in checking out on 24 after season 4. You continue to be the best resource to know what's up in TV!

Blackout said...

You know how most people pick out some books for "Summer Reading"? Well, I tend to do "Summer Viewing" of television shows I haven't gotten around to yet. (Last year it was the West Wing) I am currently watching Twin Peaks and The Larry Sanders Show. This summer I will venture into the world of Battlestar Galactica and I really hope it hasn't been overhyped. I tried to get into it last year but had a hard time getting through the four-hour pilot because so much was happening and I didn't know who was important. I also got the pilot in late August so I'm going to get an earlier start this year. Any shows you recommend?

Anonymous said...

When are you reviewing 'Nancy Drew'?

Blackout said...

Hey Kris,
Nice to hear from you again. I'll probably be reviewing Nancy Drew three weeks from never. Watch Veronica Mars if you need some female sleuthing in your life.

The Summer Movie reviews begin at the end of the week. Stay tuned.

Anonymous said...

Hey v-berg.

I've got the same thing going with the summer viewing rather than summer reading. Who likes books anyways? (sooo much better taking media studies/arts than english).

As for this past tv season, I cant say that ive watched all the same dramas as you have here (other than PB), but my comedy choices are very similar....even though I havent actually got around to watching many of the shows! Unfortunately I have some people in my house who watch greys, so i never got into the NBC comedy night (even though I like it a lot). The few episodes ive seen of 30 rock have made me laugh so much (minus the pilot episode, which turned me off of the show originally), and scrubs is always a interesting show. As for SNL....well i think JT was the best host ever. Payton manning was also quite funny. I would say I miss seth meyers in the sketches as well. I liked him better there than on Weekend Update. (even though Weekend Update might be a coveted position on SNL). I think Jimmy Fallon and Tina Fey cant be beat as far as the weekend updates of my time...maybe I'm just a huge jimmy fallon fan. But I think that amy poehler makes seth meyers look like an amateur. i still find seth a little awkward when he waits for the laugh. Kristen Wiig is one of my favourite cast members tho...the target lady is one of my favourite characters, and I wish that 2 A Holes was on every episode. I could never get tired of that idea. Ill say Andy Samburg's digital shorts are quite amazing as well. He is the new face of SNL. His movie looks stupid...but it works-because he is in it, it makes me not hate the idea. Overall, not a bad year from what I've seen....
K, and how i met your mother (HIMYM as I call it). I actually never got around to watching any of these! Its actually one of my favourites and I just always forgot about it because it seems like nobody watches it. I think I will buy the DVDs when they come out. In my opinion its better than friends. The characters are less annoying and I will agree with you...loyal watchers definetely get rewarded. Ill have to tune in next season. I dont know why I didnt tape this! Im an idiot!
Maybe I was too busy watching Some Like it Hot or On the Waterfront or something like that ;)

Wow. When you get me talking about media I think I could go on forever.
mel