Friday, March 24, 2023

Film: A Good Person

GENRE: Drama
RATING: R for language and lots of drugs
RUNTIME: 2 hours and 9 minutes
PLATFORM: Movie Theatre
STARRING: Florence Pugh (Little Women, Midsommar, Black Widow)
Morgan Freeman (Shawshank Redemption, The Dark Knight, RED)
DIRECTOR: Zach Braff (Going in Style, Garden State, Wish I Was Here)
WRITER: Braff (Garden State, Wish I Was Here)
PLOT: Allison’s life falls apart after surviving a fatal accident.    

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am a huge fan of Zach Braff and his work.            

STORY STUFF: This film is a compelling look at addiction and how hard it is to move forward. This is definitely the darkest and saddest of Braff’s films but I was engrossed the majority of the time. I wish there were a few more lighter moments and that the running time was a tad shorter. The intensity of the addiction plays out well. There are also a number of heartfelt speeches that got me in the feels.       

ACTING STUFF: The cast is incredible. Pugh plays the messed up Allison perfectly; she is riveting to watch. Freeman is always a pro and I could listen to him talk for hours. Celeste O’Connor (Ghostbusters: Afterlife) holds her own as an angry daughter trying to cope. I also enjoyed the work of Chinaza Uche (Dickinson) who I’ve never seen before. Molly Shannon (SNL) is annoying at times but I believe she’s supposed to be this time. Braff gets the most out of his ensemble as everyone brings their “A” game to this film.

ARTISTIC STUFF: While there a couple songs that really resonate (the first song of the end credits), the soundtrack is not as wonderful as Braff’s previous efforts. There are always a few cinematography flourishes in Braff’s work that make me see things from a different perspective; this film has some great ones especially in some of the drugged up scenes.      

VERDICT: Four stars out of five
SEE IT IF: You enjoy drama and Zach Braff’s previous films.
UPCOMING REVIEW:  John Wick 4

No comments: