Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Film: Confess, Fletch

 

GENRE: Crime Comedy
RATING: 14A for language and some sexual content
RUNTIME: 1 hour and 38 minutes
PLATFORM: Download
STARRING: Jon Hamm (Mad Men, Bridesmaids, Tag)
Roy Wood Jr. (The Daily Show); Ayden Mayeri (The Afterparty)
DIRECTOR: Greg Mottola (Superbad, Keeping Up with the Joneses)
WRITERS: Greg Mottola (Adventureland) & Zev Borow (Chuck)
PLOT: Fletch tries to solve an art case while being a prime suspect for multiple murders.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I enjoyed the Chevy Chase versions.        

STORY STUFF: I like how this film puts you right into the investigation. The mystery is not amazing but its light-heartedness and cast of characters kept me interested. Fletch has some great one-liners and he’s great as a Lyft client. I thought there was a bit too much driving around in this film though I did enjoy the way Fletch evaded his police tails. There’s a pretty good pace to this movie. I hope they keep making them.

ACTING STUFF: Hamm is a lot suaver than Chevy Chase; I did enjoy Chase’s disguises though. Hamm looks like he’s having fun in the role so I enjoy watching him. Mayeri is also fun as the rookie detective. I liked that they stunt casted with John Slattery (Mad Men) as Fletch’s former boss. Looks like everyone is having fun.    

ARTISTIC STUFF: I don’t know what it is but this just seems like a TV movie and not a feature film, not that there is anything particularly wrong with that. Not much else to say.

VERDICT: Three and a half stars out of five
SEE IT IF: You enjoy Jon Hamm and a light caper.
UPCOMING REVIEW:  Knives Out: Glass Onion

No comments: