Sunday, November 27, 2022

Film: The Fabelmans

 

GENRE: Drama
RATING: PG-13 for some language and brief violence
RUNTIME: 2 hours and 31 minutes
PLATFORM: Movie Theatre
STARRING: Michelle Williams (Greatest Showman, Dawson’s Creek)
Paul Dano (The Batman, There Will Be Blood); Gabriel LaBelle (newcomer)
DIRECTOR: Steven Spielberg (newcomer – just kidding, Jaws, E.T., etc.)
WRITERS: Spielberg (Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Poltergeist)
Tony Kushner (Angels in America, Munich, Lincoln, West Side Story)
PLOT: Sammy Fabelman wants to be a filmmaker but is sidetracked by a big family secret.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I love Spielberg films.        

STORY STUFF: This story grabbed me. I smile from ear to ear seeing a young ‘Spielberg’ fall in love with film and use his creativity and imagination to make his dreams come alive. I knew this film was ‘loosely based’ on Spielberg’s childhood but after doing a bit of research, it’s pretty accurate. Spielberg didn’t want to call it autobiographical as it could be seen as narcissistic. I was enthralled watching Sammy develop his passion for film and maneuver around his big family secret. It does go on a bit too long though. Once he gets to senior year of high school, I was surprised it was still going on. During this time, he is bullied for being Jewish. I don’t recall seeing this treatment in film before outside of WWII movies. It shocked me, which I’m guessing was the point. All in all, it’s a stirring family drama for those who love the arts.  

ACTING STUFF: Both LaBelle and Mateo Zoryan play Sammy so well; I believed I was watching a young Spielberg on screen. There is a passion and innocence and maturity that they convey so beautifully. I love Paul Dano as the father, he plays it so naturally. Seth Rogen also does a great job as Uncle Bennie. Unfortunately, I find Michelle Williams miscast once again. I just don’t like what she brings to the role. I think my Dawson’s Creek watching has ruined her (although I did like her Manchester by the Sea). Her face seems fake and I just don’t buy her free spirit personality. I do find it funny that she fell for Dawson who was a huge Spielberg fan and now she’s playing Spielberg’s mom.

ARTISTIC STUFF: The stand out for me is the recreations of Spielberg’s 8mm films he made as a child. They are so inventive and pure. Apparently, they are close to the originals with the exception of better camera equipment now. It’s the ultimate do-over. It’s also fun seeing little connections to future Spielberg films like E.T. and Last Crusade.  

VERDICT: Four and a half stars out of five
SEE IT IF: You love filmmaking and/or Spielberg
UPCOMING REVIEW:  Don’t Worry Darling

No comments: